This week work began on the stream.
I have done water effects before several times but have always used products from Woodland Scenics. This time I decided to try something different. Thinking ahead to when I do the Wizard’s Tower I know the Woodland Scenics materials won’t work for what I am thinking of doing so after scrolling through YouTube I settled on using the materials demonstrated by Luke at Geek Gaming.
For this diorama I kept things simple. I didn’t want a dramatic look so to some extent the effect is a little lost. The important thing is the material works and I can tell already that this will be the stuff I use on the Wizard’s Tower base. The white you see in the image below is Woodland Scenics water effects added on top to add a few ripples and to see if the products could be combined and work. They do.
Once the water effects dried it was time for a little white dry brush to bring out the ripples. Once that was done I painted up the logs and fixed them in position. Later they would get a dry brush too.
Time now to think ground work and tree. It always amazes me how much difference even a small amount of grass and a shrubs make. Introducing some Green to all the shades of brown works nicely for me.
The wire aperture for the tree was put in place and bedded into some Milliput and then left to harden.
Next step was to get the wire aperture covered in a PVA and filler mix. This was then left to dry before painting. Oils were used for painting the tree and further dry brushing will be applied in due course. I’m not looking to add more in the way of branches to the tree. A dead-ish looking appearance is what I am after and besides I want it to complement the mine and the cabin and not dominate the scene.
That’s it for this week. Too much else going on right now but for the next post I hope to have the Cabin in situ, ground work and debris added and some miscellaneous bits and bobs such as barrels, planks, boxes and rubble added.