Having finally taken delivery of the base and case from my mate Paul I was now in a position to continue the base work.
A visit to my dwindling plasterboard stash (I need to start knocking someone’s house down or make a visit to the DIY store) provided me with what I needed to build up the left hand side and bring forward the front of the mine so that the base was suitably covered.
With the plasterboard in situ it was time to carve the plaster board and begin to shape the stream. I figured the miner would need to ford the stream each day and wouldn’t want to get wet so I found a few wooden twigs to create a basic rustic bridge.
Next up was getting a load on base debris stuck down. I mainly used the plaster bits which were removed from the carving process along with a little fine sand and dirt and small gravel swept up from the road outside our house. Oh, and a few stones from the front garden! A pencil outline was drawn around the house to make sure I didn’t stray into that area.
After being stuck down with watered down PVA and allowed to fully dry for 24 hours it was time to get some painting done.
I don’t own an airbrush and have no plans to get one, it is well beyond my patience level to learn how to use one. I’ve always stuck with brushes and oil paints thinned with white spirit to paint ground work and I wasn’t about to change method now.
Time to let things dry once again. Next week the aim is to get the water effects done on the, stream, put the log bridge in place, lay down a little grass and a few plants and begin work on a tree.