This week was all about getting the third and final part of this model completed, specifically the cowboy.
As in the past when I have painted mounted 54mm figures I find them a pain in the arse to paint. I never seem to be able to hold them in away which works for me and this one was no exception. Having said that I got there in the end and overall I was pleased with the result. With the painting finished but for some dry brushing and weathering he was duly mounted on the horse. The next step was the one I never look forward too, painting and fixing the reins in place. This proved tiresome but in the end I got there.
The dry brushing and a little weathering was applied before the bear was fixed into position and then my attention moved to the base. Although I liked the base it didn’t work with the horse and the way it was pinned. Basically the horses hooves were to high above the ground and building the ground up around them would have looked odd in my opinion. I don’t have a picture to show you what was wrong so you will have to take my word for it that it didn’t look right! I pondered how to get around this and in the end settled for putting down some splashing water. Initially I was pleased with the outcome but now as I look at the images I think I added to much white to the mix. The only way to resolve that would be to strip it back and I don’t have the appetite for that right now so I’m calling it done.
Overall I’m happy with this one and it was no bad thing getting back into using oils for a while, however, much to my surprise I really didn’t enjoy painting in 54mm scale again. After doing so many figures in 28mm/32mm I found this too big. I won’t close the door and say never again but I think you could be looking at the last 54mm figure I ever do … maybe!