The main objective for this week was to get the external paint work done on the base section of the Mill. Looking ahead there will be some refinements to what I have done as once the section is fixed into position it will need to be blended with the surrounding base work, more on that though further down the line.
As with the inside of this section I needed to make a note of how I painted the outside to stand a better chance of consistency when I paint the other three layers which make the completed building.
The base colours were all straight forward, The wood work was Artiste “Brown Umber” and the brick and stone work was Artiste “Black” mixed with Artiste “Sand” to obtain a grey colour. Once the base colours were laid down and dry they were given a Lamp Black oil wash. The result is shown in the first two images below.
After setting aside to dry it was time to start dry brushing. The initial phase was to simply take the initial grey mix and brush over the top. The initial mix then had some more “sand” colour added to lighten it and then this was dry brushed again. Another couple of lighter mixes were added after that. In the image below you can see that I also started brushing on some of the Vallejo pigment that I had used on the inside flooring.
As well as the Vallejo pigment I also used some Humbrol Earth and Rust pigment to add colour variety. On the lower sections where the Mill would attract the damp I added green and yellow inks to hopefully give the impression of lichen and moss. These are areas witch will also be looked at again once the section has been properly based. For now though the current end result can be seen in the images below.
The windows were painted using Vallejo Model Color Iraqi Sand which was then given a wash of Citadel Reikland Fleshshade. The lattice work was then painted using Vallejo Gun Metal and Silver.
With the internal and external painting methods determined and noted down they will be used again as applicable throughout the rest of this building. The good news is I won’t need to repeat these methods in future posts where I have used them, I can just post photo’s.
This week I also received the orders I had placed with Other World Miniatures and Mirliton in Italy. Both look good and I couldn’t believe just how quickly the Italian order came, less than 48 hours! Incredible. As to the figures themselves I’ll be introducing those to you bit by bit as they get painted.
Next step unsurprisingly is to work on the next tier starting with the inside once again.