For this diorama I wanted to try to improve upon my first building project. As a theme I decided to go with a pioneers cabin set in the middle of nowhere and where the early settlers would have had a non violent relationship with the local tribal indians. The completed result appears below.
The building itself is another kit from Sarrisa (North American series) which has had some modifications. As mentioned in my earlier Building Project No: 1 post, I wanted to add some depth to my next building and decided to use coffee stirrer’s to help achieve this. I wasn’t bold enough to clad the building walls but did alter the roof. Overall I was pleased with the outcome and with hindsight wished I had done something with the walls after all!
The building also featured a stone chimney. Being laser etched the chimney looked very flat and so along with doing alterations to the roof I decided to build a new chimney using cat litter and filler. Picture below.
Another first in this dioram was the introduction of “water”. Woodland Scenics “Realistic Water” was used in the water trough and for creating the small waterfall and stream. See below.
As with most things done for the first time there is a learning curve. “Realistic Water” is like real water in that it runs everywhere and will escape all over the base unless it is properly contained. If you want to add water to anything you do this stuff is great and there are some excellent tutorials on Youtube which can tell you how to use this stuff far better than I can.
The figures and wagon are all 28mm Dixon Miniatures.
A few more photo’s of this diorama are below.
For my next building project I decided I would try my hand at constructing a building completely from scratch. More on that to follow. In the meaanwhile I need to work on my photography skills as these images aren’t that great!