Back to modelling!
Another figure in my current series of Reaper miniatures. Fortunately I had done a lot of this figure before I went on holiday so despite everything that’s going on I managed to finish it off this week.
Some intricate painting on this one sets it a little apart from one or two others recently. I enjoyed the challenge it provided and also the colour scheme as it was nice to do something in a rather nice blue.
Painting figures is one thing, deciding how to base them is something else entirely. I decided the blue of the figure some how lent itself to a warmer climate which in turn threw up the idea of a Roman or Greek style pillar. Not only have I never made a pillar before but I’ve never tried to produce a marble paint effect either. Had I managed to do this one earlier it might have been a candidate for the August Technical challenge.
The pillar was made using various bits and pieces. The main element was a simple piece of wooden dowel. To create the bottom of the pillar I stuck three different sized rubber washers to the dowel which in turn was stuck to a spare square base which I had in my bits box. The top of the pillar was given a rough cast finish using a little ground cat litter and the corrugated shape of the pillar was created using some cardboard which I ran through my Green Stuff World corrugator tool and then simply stuck it to the dowel.
As for painting the pillar I primed it in white first and then gave it a wash of light brown coloured acrylic. While it was wet I applied various streaks of black, brown and white to create the veins using a dry brush to blend a little. I didn’t have to do too much blending because the paint was naturally absorbed by the cardboard. I repeated the process a couple of times until I was happy (which is to say I reached the stage where it was as good as it was going to get!) before applying a coat of gloss varnish. The corrugated cardboard created a vertical seam which after painting pretty much disappeared but I decided not to leave it to chance so added some plant life to disguise it completely.
Photos of the completed figure appear below. Ì didn’t get chance to do a backdrop for the photos, as suggested by IRO, this time around but aim to address that in the next post, or the next one or the one after that!