Another week and once again I managed to achieve my aims. In truth I feel I could and perhaps should have done more. My enthusiasm for the project is as high as as it has been from the start but I just don’t seem to be able to shrug off the level of sluggishness that I have developed. I feel sure this has so much to do with lockdown and repetition to my daily life. If it wasn’t for sticking with the blog and trying to hit my self imposed publication days I honestly wouldn’t be able to tell you what day of the week it was.
So, how did I manage to get on?
The first image of the immediate three below is where the base was last week. Once the PVA had dried out a few more stones were added to the front area I then I started to apply filler. On this occasion I went for using DAS clay. It dries quicker, not that I was in any rush, and for what I had in mind was easier to work with and shape.
In the third photo you can see that I have started to shape the waves. A big thank you to those of you who were kind enough to share some tips and YouTube links. I have now worked out what I plan to do and will go into more detail in a future post. The shapes made so far are really only the foundations. The important thing is they are reasonably spaced out and all travelling in the same direction. I went for waves coming in from an angle as I thought it would look better on the eye. Time will tell but of course but by then it will be to late! You will also notice that in addition to the rocks some sand has also been added.
With front section looking OK it was then time to start looking at the back and sides. Plasterboard carving and stones needed to be added along with some sand and thereafter more DAS clay where applicable. The sea won’t be lapping up here so it’s just about a landscaping finish.
With the need to allow for things to dry as well as work out quite where I go from here I thought I would make a start on one of the figures. There are only going to be a couple but obviously one has to be a wizard. I settled on a little figure produced by Crooked Dice. A two part figure where the head was seperate. I decided not to assemble the two bits at this stage and made a start on painting his head.
Next week I am aiming to get some painting done on the base and maybe get the wizard fully painted so he can be put to one side for later.