This week we have another 28mm foot knight for my slowly growing Baron’s War army – Sir Phelip de Welles.
I have mixed feelings about this one.
On the positive side I’m pleased with the yellow. A great colour but so often dreadful to paint with. Better undercoating seems to hold the key and I am much happier with the results I’m getting these days. Might just be my eye but there seems to be a bit more depth to the end result. Whatever the Science I am pleased with how it came out.
On the positive/negative side I have mixed feelings about the heraldry result on the shield, my first attempt at painting a Lion Rampant. As a first attempt I’m pleased but the head isn’t quite right so that’s left me a little disappointed. I think what concerns me more was not being able to see how to put it right. But for the head I’m pleased but it is clearly something I need to practice a lot more. I would also add that I found using flow aid medium essential.
One of the challenges with the heraldry was how to break the design down into manageable chunks given the very limited amount of space available on a 28mm shield. In this instance it was all about getting a basic skeleton shape for the lion and then bit by bit fleshing it out. Once I got the skeleton form right it became much easier. I thought YouTube would have plenty of useful tutorials but I found it sadly lacking. I did manage to find something very basic which proved interesting and served my purpose but I had hoped for more. Perhaps I just didn’t put the right search criteria in.
Images of Sir Phelip below.