This week I finally got to start on the Blacksmiths building.
I began with the inner living area and used the same paint scheme I had used on the various sections of the Mill. Not as intricate as the Mill to do but painting the windows and frames still took a little while to complete.
Satisfied that the inner section looked OK I moved on to the forge area, the section of the building I was most looking forward to doing. The walls were again painted grey, given a black oil wash and then dry brushed with a variety of mainly grey shades and a little sand and white. The floor was done in much the same way but when it was dry I brushed on some weathering powders – Vallejo Pigment Desert Dust and Humbrol Earth and Rust.
Painting the various tools proved a little tricky. They were difficult to access and required me to hold my brush much further up which was uncomfortable and afforded me less control. Once I stopped wavering it around I managed to get somewhere!
Although not visible from the photo, I broke up a couple of burnt matches and placed them in the fire to add more texture and realism. I nice touch but one which I suspect will go unnoticed for ever unless I mention it here!
The unpainted section at the rear is where the tool rack I painted a week ago is situated. The image below shows the rack and other accessories I painted followed by an image with the tool rack and bellows stuck in place. You can just about make out the fire burning too.
At this point I decided to spend some time on developing the ground work where the Blacksmiths would be positioned. I figured I would return to painting the outside of the building while the ground work was drying.
I drew around the outside of the building to determine the boundary line and then set about laying down some filler. The Dark grey you can see in the photo below is carved plaster board which I used to create rock facias to the left and right of some additional steps I carved. The plaster board was then painted with the dark grey as the foundation colour.
That’s as far as I got this week. Next week I will move on to painting the outside of the Blacksmiths.