It pays every now and then to remind yourself what you have previously bought and forgotten about. Going back a good few months I was reminded that I had a spell of painting some Footsore Baron’s War Knights for the specific purpose of clearing my backlog and putting the finished figures up on Ebay for sale. My overall objective was partly achieved in that I completed all the foot figures I had but wasn’t in the mood to paint the couple of mounted knights that I also had. Instead I put them back in the cupboard and duly forgot all about them … again. All this was before I decided to paint a medieval army.
As chance would have it and while searching for something else I stumbled across the two mounted knights once again. As they were already primed it seemed like a good idea to take on the challenge of painting one to see how it came out before taking the plunge and buying more mounted knights.
The only real decision I had to make was what colour scheme to go with. I rather liked the idea of doing black and yellow again as it had worked out well on my recent foot knight but needed to identify another character who sported such livery. Enter stage left “Sire Will’m de Bovile”. I have no idea who he is but at some point I will google the chap to learn more.
As far as the painting goes there is really only two things to mention. Firstly, I dispensed with the idea of masking tape. Whilst I’m sure it is ideal with an airbrush I cannot get on with it when using a brush, even when stippling. The folds in the Caparison (is that the right term?) would have made the use of masking tape pretty difficult too. Secondly, this kind of freehand painting whilst enjoyable and rewarding is, for me at least, very, very time consuming. That’s not a complaint by the way just an awakening on my part to just how long each mounted knight is going to take me.
My only other comment relates to the banner. Part of me thinks it is to big (not that I am about to change it) but from what I can see from the bit or research I have undertaken they do appear to come in all shapes and sizes to the point where they dwarf a knight completely. As to the making of it I elected to once again to use Japanese writing paper. It has a nice cloth like texture to it.
So, without further ado images of my armies first 28mm mounted knight.