The plan for the last week was to get the turret done and begin work on the top section of the tower. Every section of this model is a painting marathon but so far I am loving every minute of it. Yes I know an airbrush would have quickened things up but I’m a brush guy and am happily losing myself in this project. Although I consider the progress I am making to be very pleasing I’m conscious of the fact that from a blog posting point of view things might be a little dull. Hopefully though the images towards the end of this post will provide some idea of scale and why it is a beast of a model.
The first couple of photos today are of the outside of the turret. There are five turret windows and each one takes a while to do but I love the way they look. Not my idea as I have said before but thanks to the YouTube link I have previously posted. The wooden shingles have all been painted using a combination of various earth coloured oils and most of the weathering has been done too. The grain and texture engraved in the model is simply brilliant. As you can see in the second image their is a top piece still to be painted. I’m leaving that for now so I can pick the top up rather than manhandling the paint work so far done.
With the turret largely out of the way it was time to move on to the stone section. As with the rest of the model it is very highly detailed and getting into the various nooks and crannies to paint everything is time consuming and more than a little repetitive but with YouTube on I was happily zoned out. No real secret to any of the painting here. Just a couple of base colours, washes to get into the dark recessed areas and highlights and dry brushing on edges and where else I felt it was appropriate for weathering. As with the all the tower painting so far done there is much more weathering to be done but that will come later.
In the third image below I have inserted the room which I got painted last week. The fit is perfect and was easily glued into place.
With the room in place I added the turret. Again the fit is perfect although there is only one way the turret can be positioned so I colour marked it for ease as it will not be glued down, that way it will be possible to see inside the room. The colour marks aren’t visible when the turret is on.
With the top section put together it was time for a motivational assembly of the main pieces. It is nice to take time out and see how things are progressing. So far so good and I am very pleased with things as they currently stand. That said there is a long way to go.
Plenty more to paint on the tower. The base hasn’t even been started and there are figures and other bits and bobs to be done. A good many weeks work lay ahead. Next week I will aim to get the rocks done on the base section. Then I might start to think about how to go about getting the base done.